I saw a video for making your own bouncy balls and figured we had to try it since it only requires a couple common ingredients, and its a very hands-on project. FYI, I recently discovered Whizkid8881 Channel on YouTube which has several different experiments for kids, including the exploding soap we recently tried, as well as this DIY bouncy ball.
With just 4 common household ingredients, you can make your own bouncy balls. Here’s what you’ll need:
- White glue
- Corn starch
- Warm water
- Food coloring (optional)
- Glitter (optional)
How To Make Your Own Bouncy Balls
- In a small bowl, create a borax mixture by diluting 1/2 teaspoon of borax in 2 tablespoons of warm water. Add some food coloring if desired.
- In a separate bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of glue, 1/2 teaspoon of the borax mixture, 1 tablespoon of cornstarch, and some glitter (if desired).
- Stir ingredients until the mixture becomes a firm putty.
- Mold the putty with your hands into a round ball.
- Let ball sit for several minutes until it is no longer sticky.
If you experiment with the recipe, or try different types of glue, you might get balls with more or less bounce.
If you’ve tried making your own bouncy balls and have had good luck, let us know what worked (or failed)!